I first discovered banoffee (banana and toffee) pie when I started university. I was desperately craving a homemade pudding one Sunday and was staying with my boyfriend, who had very few ingredients available at his university shop and even less cooking equipment, when I discovered this simple yet scrumptious recipe. I still make it the same way so excuse the strange measurements and utensils I have included in the instructions! This is a recipe for anyone and you can make it anywhere, I’ve even made it in Dubai for my family there! For anyone who has a craving for something sweet this weekend, it’s a must, trust me!
- 1 packet of digestive biscuits
- knob of butter
- 1 pot of double cream or whisking cream
- 3 bananas- the riper the better!
- 1 tin of canned caramel (sorry I cheat)
- Put the biscuits into a plastic food bag and seal. Bash the biscuits with a can until broken into tiny pieces like sand being careful not to puncture the bag. If you have a rolling pin to hand this will also work as will a tea towel instead of a bag, they just weren’t very clean in halls!
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Once the butter is melted pour in the crushed biscuits.
- Mix the butter with the biscuits until they come together, add more butter if they are not sticking very well.
- Immediately place into a big dish or alternatively place into several ramekin dishes.
- Push the mixture down so that it looks like the base of a cheesecake.
- Chop the bananas into small round slices.
- Place the banana on top of the biscuit.
- Pour on the canned caramel. Make sure it is evenly spread.
- Whip the cream until it forms and holds peaks.
- Spoon the cream on to the top of the caramel.
- Refrigerate for at least a few hours. Overnight is best.