This weekend is my mum’s birthday so my sister and I made her a cake to celebrate.
For the Cake:
- 4 eggs.
- 35g cornflour
- 200g self raising flour
- 225g sugar
- 225g butter
- teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- 2 tubes of hundreds and thousands
- 400g icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 200g butter
- Set the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Line and grease two sponge tins.
- Cream the butter an the sugar together.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Add one egg and beat into mixture.
- Fold in a tablespoon of flour.
- Repeat steps five and six until all of the eggs and flour are incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the tins evenly and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave to coo for several hours.
- Beat the icing sugar, butter and milk together in a large bowl.
- Spread a thin layer of the butter icing over the cake as a crumb layer.
- Then spread a thicker layer on top, making sure you get a smooth surface.
- Now sprinkle hundreds and thousands over the top of the cake and press into the sides until completely covered.
- Tie a ribbon around the outside of the cake to finish, add candles and maybe a happy birthday sign like mine below.